Monday 30 March 2015

Throwback: an interview with Brendon Hartley

Two years ago, the now-Porsche LMP1 driver Brendon Hartley was facing his very first full-season of sportscar racing with Dublin outfit Murphy Prototypes in the ultra-competitive LMP2 category of the European Le Mans Series. Ahead of his second season in the WEC, we revisit this interview from 2013, in which the former Red Bull junior spoke openly about his flirtations with Formula 1 and his goal to someday win the Le Mans 24 Hours.

For a relatively small nation of around 4.5 million people, New Zealand has a rich motorsport heritage boasting the likes of 1964 Formula 1 champion Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren, and double Indycar champion Scott Dixon, with 23-year old Brendon Hartley at the forefront of a new generation of Kiwis also comprising GP3 champion Mitch Evans and V8 Supercar stars Shane van Gisberghen and Scott McLaughlin.  A protégé of Colin Giltrap, who helped forge Dixon’s immensely successful career in the United States, Hartley made a bright start to his career by winning first-time out in the Toyota Racing Series, now well established for young drivers across the globe looking for track-time during the winter. 

From there he was picked up by Red Bull, where the goal was pretty clear.

“Just go and win some races; that was pretty much it to be honest,” says Hartley. “They told us what we were racing; there wasn’t a lot of choice. I did Formula Renault for two years, Formula 3 in the UK and the Euroseries, then the World Series. I mean they were all fantastic championships, they knew what they were doing obviously and I stayed with them for five years, got some good results. Really they just wanted you to win, that’s what it came down to.
Pictured with Mark Webber at Red Bull. The two would later
become team-mates in the World Endurance Championship (Getty).
“I was very young when I joined so it was just a lot of discovering as I went on. Coming from New Zealand at that time, there were no drivers in Europe from home. You would sometimes read the odd Autosport magazine and to what’s going on, but we’re kind of in our own world down there. We followed America quite closely because Scott Dixon was doing well there, but for me it was a bit of a new adventure. I moved to Germany at sixteen years old and it was tough not seeing my family for eight to nine months. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, and that’s still the case. It’s just one of those things I’m used to. It was very tough in the beginning and I learned a lot from it. I’m definitely a stronger person because of it.

“In some ways, people saw what I did and now there’s a lot more drivers in Europe. In some respects I kind of paved the way; people saw what I was up to and learned about the championships and what’s available over here.  In the early stages it was just me, and I was working it out as I went along.”

After winning the Formula Renault Eurocup and placing a strong fourth on his F3 debut in the Masters, beating Romain Grosjean among others, for 2008 Hartley was placed with crack British F3 outfit Carlin Motorsport, alongside rival Red Bull junior Jaime Alguersuari and Racing Steps pioneer Oliver Turvey, now a factory McLaren GT driver and occasional F1 tester. But despite winning as many times as the eventual champion Alguersuari, inconsistency blighted Hartley’s season and it was the Spaniard who was promoted to F1 with Toro Rosso the following season.

“It was disappointing, probably more because, without being cocky, I think I had the edge for most of the year but just made a lot of mistakes,” Hartley admits. “If anything, I gave the championship away, which was really frustrating. It’s not that I expected to win, but that I had the chance and I threw it away.”
On the cusp of F1, testing for Toro Rosso in 2011 (LAT).
In all, Hartley enjoyed five seasons of Red Bull backing before he was dropped in 2010, but holds no hard feelings about missing out on F1.

“To be honest it wasn’t going that well and I wasn’t performing as I should have been,” Hartley says frankly. “During 2009 I was meant to be doing the Euroseries with Carlin, then at the last minute they decided that I was going to do some World Series as well having never tested the car and at the same time I was the reserve driver for the Formula 1 team. You can imagine my schedule with doing Formula 3, World Series and going to the F1 races. To be honest I was a bit burned out and in some ways I stopped enjoying it, which is obviously not how it should be. I like to think that I’m really back on my game now, but unfortunately there was a small period where I wasn’t right on it, and I’m not the only one that’s happened to.

 “I was there for five years, so I was probably one of the longest lasting Red Bull juniors. Without them I wouldn’t have any of the opportunities I’ve got now, I never would have got the funds to come and race in Europe so I am very thankful for that. It was a shame to get dropped but at the same time that’s life. Besides, I wasn’t the only one, there were maybe around fifty or so guys before me...”

After that, Hartley flirted with the Gravity Driver management scheme that one stage had a majority stake in the Lotus-Renault F1 team, and took drives in GP2 and World Series where and when they became available, his 3.5 podium at Monaco in 2011 a clear highlight. But with diminishing chances of making F1, one final crack at GP2 in Bahrain last April for Tiago Monteiro's underfunded Ocean Racing Technology proved highly disappointing. A promising run from last on the grid to 10th in race 1 was followed by a suspension issue in race 2 which caused his retirement while well placed to score points, before being buried in the frantic midfield pack for races 3 and 4.

"I got drafted in at the last moment. It’s one of those races where something small can happen [to disrupt your weekend] and in the end we didn't get a result from it when maybe we could have done."
Negotiating La Sarthe at sunset (Murphy Prototype).
Without a full-time ride on the horizon, Hartley made the bold decision to switch to sportscars, a category in the ascendancy with increasing manufacturer involvement and arguably the best prospects for a driver to turn professional.

"I take a realistic approach to it,” Hartley says. “Growing up racing go-karts I always said I wanted to be a Formula One driver but I never really knew how that was going to happen. As things turned out I actually got pretty close! Originally I was looking at America and what the options were. I never had the money to race, I had a very good sponsor and support team in New Zealand that were trying to help me get there, and when the opportunity with Red Bull came up it was a no-brainer to come over and give Europe a chance. I had never really looked at sportscar racing; the goal was always single-seaters.

“I've really enjoyed being in LMP2 and I'd like to make a career out of it. I'm still young - I'm only 23 years old although I've been in Europe almost seven years - so I have a lot of experience for my age.”

Many a driver has struggled to make the transition a success, with the traffic, driver-changes and graveyard shifts that are all part and parcel of sportscar racing, a step largely into the unknown. But if anything, changing to sportscars provided the impetus Hartley need to get back to his best, making a strong first impression at the fearsome Spa- Francorchamps and taking fastest lap at Donington.
In conversation with Le Mans legend Dindo Capello (Murphy Prototype).
"I've kind of had the perfect entry into sportscars with Murphys, it’s gone really well. Straight away at Spa I think I did a good job, I did I think three or four stints in the race, got some good lap-times and came through third. Le Mans was going very well as well, we were setting quickest times during the night and it was unfortunate to have the problem we had, then at Donington we were on the podium again.

"It requires a different style to drive. Ultimately it’s still a car with four wheels and an engine and I was on the pace pretty much straight away, so that wasn't a problem. It took me a little while to adapt to sharing a car. It’s not always easy, because although they're your teammates and you want to help them out, it’s a weird feeling. Normally your team-mate is your worst enemy, so it’s quite a different approach. That has taken me a while to get used to, but I'm very fortunate as everyone has been great to work with and it’s a really nice atmosphere in the team. It’s important that you can have fun. As an entry into sportscars it’s worked for me and I've enjoyed it, which was the main thing; if you don't enjoy it then why are you here?”

Following the 24 Hours (“it was just incredible, a big rollercoaster ride, you're just emotionally wrecked after the week, I hope I'll go back there many times"), Hartley cut his teeth on Mount Panorama in the Bathurst 12 and almost won on his debut in Grand-Am, setting him up nicely for a crack at the 2013 ELMS title with Murphy Prototypes, now a fully independent team running out of Brackley near Silverstone. With ex-F1 driver Karun Chandhok and experienced GT campaigner Mark Patterson lined up to partner him for another assault at La Sarthe, Hartley will certainly be a man to look out for in 2013, and not just because of his eye-catching hairstyle…

No comments:

Post a Comment